Thursday, June 4, 2009

Besotted with the Moomins










Moomintroll and Snufkin, Moominmamma and Mymble… These delightful characters are such a part of my childhood, it’s hard to admit that they’re not real. I pored over Tove Jansson whimsical fantasy books as a child, and they have inspired me ever since. Jansson had a magical talent, bringing to life her sweet characters and the woods in which they lived, using the simplest of illustrations.

She created a memorable setting – the warm Moomin valley would be alive with birdsong and bubbling brooks in summer, or blanketed in a soft carpet of snow in winter. The Moomins, who loved adventures as much as they loved life and nature itself, would return from their adventures to the gentle valley, and be safe and sound once again. Moomin valley was the inspiration behind cocoon
couture’s Enchanted
Forest Tree. I wanted to create a special place where our critters could hang out together… early bird, little foxy, cheeky squirrel and sleepy owl; and now our new dreamy owl. I like to think that these critters share the Moomins’ taste for adventure – but also love to just be. Jannson’s stories and illustrations continue to inspire and delight, and I will often pull out my tattered copy of Finn Family Moomintroll and step back into childhood.


I also love scouring the web for Moomin-related sites, and want to share these ones with you:
- Tove Jannson Mommins; a very simple and sweet biography of the
Moomins
- The Moomins the animated series produced in the UK; so
cute you will have to watch them...one for all the family!
- Who will Comfort Toffle was given to my boys for their 2nd birthday by my dear friend Tania. We all love to hear of Toffle's journey thru this amazing land to find his Miffle. A must for the book shelf.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Ingrid, I was at school with Bev. She's buying a copy of my book about my two children's responses to books. Both were also passionate about the Moomins - and the book has a lot about them. Rebecca loved Snufkin, and often 'became' him, and at 19 went off into the forest alone, as he did (to save the old growth). Ralph loved Little My - bold and irascible - and small (as he was the younger).
    If you're ever interested in writing/illustrating kids' books, contact me to join my e-bulletin list. Best, Virginia.
    Dr Virginia Lowe
    Create a Kids' Book
    http://www.createakidsbook.com.au
    PO Box 2, Ormond Victoria 3204
    ph: 03 9578 5689
    fax: 03 9578 3466
    mob: 0400 488 100
    "Stories, Pictures and Reality: Two children tell" (Routledge 2007)

    ReplyDelete