Friday, May 29, 2009

The Possum That Didn't






One of my favourite books from my child hood is 'The Possum That Didn't' by Frank Tashlin.
It is a story of a little possum that would hang upside down in his tree; smiling at the world. Until one day the 'people from the city' came on an outing to the country side and saw the possum hanging upside down; thinking he was sad.
As the story goes on the 'people from the city' take the possum to the city where 'everyone is happy' to make him SMILE. And as time goes by the possum gets sadder and sadder until his mouth turns down...into what the city folk think is a smile! Written and illustrated by Frank Tashlin in 1951; this wonderful book with a message that is still poignant today is part of series of books by the same author. Another one of his books of this time is The Bear that Wasn't.
This title was made into a cartoon in 1960 and is one to try and look up...
What I love is the simplicity of the illustrations that draw you in with their graphic wit and emotional depth; all in Black and White from this first edition of 'The Possum That Didn't' 1951.

8 comments:

  1. Hi,
    This used to be my favourite book (I have it in French)!!
    Now, I'm a grown up and as an English teacher, I would love to study that story with my pupils, I'd love to buy it but I can can't find it anywhere on the web...It's out of print...
    Do you think you could scan it to me and send it by email?
    charlottanglais@yahoo.fr

    Thank you so much for sharing this piece of childhood with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book was important for me in my childhood too, and likewise I cannot find a copy anywhere either. I would love to have a scanned copy to read to my children. If it is possible... email please: redstreamwalker@yahoo.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Charlotte and Laura, i will see what i can do! it is such a beautiful book...my scanner is not working at present but if you could email me at ingrid@cocooncouture.com this will give me both your emails and a reminder to do it!
    thanks so much for sharing your love of the possum that didnt! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I realise this is quite an old post now - but I recently heard about this book on a documentary, and I love the artwork and the simple but cutting satire of the plot. I'm looking for a book to give to my nephew and I think this is perfect - did you manage to get it scanned? If so I would be forever grateful if I could get a copy!!!

    Please email me: elr11789@gmail.com;

    Thanks so much!!!!! Ed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, my name is Clara, I work for an Argentina publishing house and I would like to read this book for I think I would like to translate it into Spanish language...
    Could you possibly send me a scanned copy? I realize everybody is asking you the same thing - I hope this is not too much work for you.
    My email: clarah@adrianahidalgo.com
    Thank you in advance!
    Clara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I'm Nathan. My girlfriend mother was decribing her favorite children's book to me, and this is it. She originally called it the Possum Who Wouldn't, so after a little searching I found this page. I would like to surprise her with a scanned copy of this book. If it's not too much trouble could you email it to me? Thank you so much!

    Email: njlichtenstein@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been searching for this book for over a year now. The only copies I can find are $300!!! I cannot afford that, so if you've been able to send scanned copies, I would love to read this to my children. Thanks!
    email: emilytheresa@gmail.com
    Thank you so much! Emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Possum That didn't, is also my favorite. Is this book still available?

    ReplyDelete